It’s that time of year when more hours of the day are spent indoors and people keep warm using fireplaces, furnaces and heaters. Here are a couple of tips to keep safe while staying warm. 

Fire Extinguisher : It’s very important to have a usable fire extinguisher available.

Make sure your furnace is serviced : A specialist should inspect the furnace to make sure everything is in working order with no leaks present. Keep all flammable materials away from your furnace this includes: clothing, paint products, toxic materials, cardboard and more.

Fireplace Safety : Never leave a burning fire unattended. Ensure the fire is contained by using a fireplace screen or glass, as these prevent sparks from flying. Only use seasoned woods (avoid soft woods like pine). Never overload the hearth with wood or artificial logs because the resulting fire may be too large for the unit.

Space Heaters : Always read the instructions on the space heating unit before use. If your space heater requires venting, make sure you have vented it to the outdoors. Never use your stove or oven to heat your home; only use space heaters that are approved for this purpose. Always allow at least three feet of empty area around space heaters. Never place clothing or any other objects on space heater to dry. Remember to turn space heaters off when you leave the house or go to bed.

These Safety tips were provided by the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs forum. Please click here for more information.